I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father but through Me.
Yes, you read that right. Jesus claims to be THE one and only way to God.
All roads may have led to Rome soon after His life on earth, but all paths don’t and never did lead to Heaven. Jesus makes that fact abundantly clear in the passage above. The following verses further underscore this one-and-only-one-way entry method.
Only One Way to God
- Acts 4:12. “Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to mankind by which we must be saved.”
- 1 Timothy 2:5. “For there is one God and one mediator between God and mankind, the man Christ Jesus.”
- 1 Corinthians 8:6. “Yet for us there is but one God, the Father, from whom are all things and we exist for Him; and one Lord, Jesus Christ, by whom are all things, and we exist through Him.”
- 1 John 5:4-5. “For everyone who has been born of God overcomes the world. And this is the victory that has overcome the world—our faith. Who is it that overcomes the world? Only the one who believes that Jesus is the Son of God.”
- Romans 10:9-10. “If you declare with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you profess your faith and are saved.”
- John 3:18. “Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because they have not believed in the name of God’s one and only Son.”
Such exclusivity does not go over well these days. Our culture is fiercely committed to the false notion that one person’s “truth” is just as valid as the next’s. Not only does our society teach that everyone should do his own thing, but also insists he be celebrated for it. The Bible has something to say about this mindset, too.
Many Paths to Destruction
- Proverbs 16:25. “There is a way which seems right to a man, but its end is the way of death.”
- Matthew 7:13-14. “Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.”
- John 3:19-20. This is the verdict: Light has come into the world, but people loved darkness instead of light because their deeds were evil. Everyone who does evil hates the light, and will not come into the light for fear that their deeds will be exposed.”
Of course, these teachings do not win any brownie points in our current culture either. Instead of being grateful that God provided ONE way of reconciliation, the world is offended because other ways don’t work. Detractors pan the proffered lifeline for not being inclusive enough.
Yet Christ’s invitation is freely extended to all. “Come unto Me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.” (Matthew 11:28) He makes this promise to Jews and Gentiles. Male and female. Slaves and free alike. (see Galatians 3:28)
God Loves the World
- Romans 5:8. “But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.”
- John 3:16. “For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.”
- 2 Peter 3:9. “The Lord is not slow concerning his promise, as some regard slowness, but is being patient toward you, because he does not wish for any to perish but for all to come to repentance.”
- Revelation 14:16. “And I saw another angel flying in midheaven, having an eternal gospel to preach to those who live on the earth. To every nation and tribe and tongue and people.”
If you’ve never put your faith and trust in Jesus before, I pray you will do so without delay. Christ is THE way, THE truth, and THE life. He is our only hope. There is no other.
Print the Whole Series
If you’re interested in printing or coloring the other “I AM” statements in this series, you’ll find the ones I’ve already posted linked below:
- I AM the Bread of Life. A coloring page based on John 6:35.
- I AM the Light of the World. A coloring page based on John 8:12.
- I AM the Gate. A coloring page based on John 10:7.
- I AM the Good Shepherd. A coloring page based on John 10:11
- I AM the Resurrection. A coloring page based on John 11:25.
- I AM the Way, the Truth, and the Life. A coloring page based on John 14:6.
- I AM the True Vine. This coloring page is coming soon! John 15:1-2.
More Scripture to Color
Want still more free printable coloring pages? You can access all my past “Scripture Sunday” posts by following this link. If you’d prefer a bound collection, check out my Color the Word coloring books below.
Or, if you enjoy writing as much or more than you enjoy coloring, take a peek at my devotional journals:
Until next week, happy coloring!
PLEASE NOTE: This post contains affiliate links through which Flanders Family Home Life may receive a small compensation — at no additional cost to you. See my full disclosure policy here.