Today is Memorial Day, and although our family will be spending the afternoon picnicking and swimming at our local pool, we are taking time this morning to discuss the origins and meaning of Memorial Day and to remember the soldiers who gave their lives defending our country.
We encourage you to set aside some time for remembering our fallen heroes, as well. Here are some additional resources to help you do so:
- Why Memorial Day is Different than Veterans Day – This Washington Post article includes a brief video explaining the difference and a couple of infographics that show the military death count form each of America’s major wars
- The Ultimate Sacrifice – This coloring page highlights a central themes in Scripture: “Greater love has no one than this, that one would lay down his life for his friends.” Can you think of a more fitting Bible verse for Memorial Day?
- Lincoln’s Gettysburg Address – Memorial Day was originally known as “Decoration Day” — a day set aside for honoring soldiers who’d died during the Civil War and adorning their graves with flags, wreaths, or flowers
- In Flanders Field – Here is a free printable version of John McCrae’s poignant WWI poem you and/or your children might enjoy coloring. McCrae was a Canadian physician who wrote the poem in honor of a fallen comrade.
- Free Memorial Day Activities and Crafts – Lots of great ideas, including free printable Memorial Day books for emergent or advanced readers
- Free Online Memorial Day Unit Study – Includes reading passages, linked educational videos, and instructions for creating a digital remembrance.
- Changing of the Guard – If you’ve ever visited the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier in Arlington National Cemetery, you may have seen the changing of the guard in person. If not, you can observe this solemn ceremony on YouTube.
We hope these resources will help make this Memorial Day more meaningful. How do you plan to spend the day?Blessings,
PS. I sometimes use affiliate links to share products or services I love and think you'll love, too (like Walmart's pickup grocery service below... how did we ever survive without that?). You can view my full disclosure statement here.