Since today is Memorial Day, I’m saharing a free printable version of “In Flanders Fields,” one of our favorite WWI-era poems.
In Flanders Fields
In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.
We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.
Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.
– Major John McCrae
A Little Background…
Artillery commander and brigade doctor, Major John McCrae, wrote this poem after being called upon to conduct a burial service for a fallen comrade.
Legend has it that McCrae was dissatisfied with what he’d written. So he threw it in the trash! We only know about it today because someone came behind him, pulled it out of the rubbish bin, and circulated it among friends and family members. The poem eventually found it’s way into a newspaper, and the rest — as they say — is history.
I’ve committed this one to memory. So have several of my children. Not only is it a historically significant poem, but it also bears our family’s name. And it was written by a man who, like my own dear husband, served his country as an army doctor. Such details make the poem just that much more special to our family.
More Printables for Patriots
Do you like poems? Then you’ll be glad to hear I’ve published more! Some are originals. Some well-known and much-loved. You can find those printables by following this link: Flanders Family Favorite Poems.
Looking for more patriotic printables? Try the following links:
- More Resources for Celebrating Memorial Day – This post includes a list of educational links and lots of other great ideas.
- Military Anthems – This post includes free printable copies of the theme songs for every branch of the US Armed Forces.
- Free Printables for Veteran’s Day – Here you’ll find a VETERAN acrostic template plus other resources for observing Veteran’s Day.
- Praying for the USA – America desperately needs prayer! This free printable prayer guide will help you intercede for our beloved nation.
- Historic National Documents – Here you’ll find printable versions of the Declaration of Independence, the Preamble to the Constitution, and the Bill of Rights.
- National Anthem Printable – This post includes printable versions of “The Star-Spangled Banner” and the Pledge of Allegiance.
- Free Fourth of July Printables – Quotes from our founding fathers form the basis for this collection of coloring pages.
A Freedom-Loving Journal
This “In Flanders Field” coloring page first appeared in God Bless America, my devotional journal for patriots.
My goal in creating this little journal was to inspire readers to think deeply about what it means to be an American. What is our responsibility to the rest of the world? How can we preserve the freedoms with which we’ve been blessed? And how do we ensure the guiding principles on which our nation was established are never forgotten?