I have a couple of little ones who are really good at math, but not so good at penmanship. Although they know the correct answer to an arithmetic problem, they often write it backwards.
So I designed this numeral writing printable to give them some extra practice.
If number reversals are a problem at your house, try printing out several copies to use with your young students. You can require them to do the whole page, or just the numerals that give them the most trouble.
And if they need a little extra practice (on either numbers or letters), try one or more of the following activities:
- Spread a little shaving cream on the kitchen table, and have them use their finger to draw the numerals in the lather. If they make a mistake, they can easily smooth it away and try again
- Have them to form all ten digits out of play dough or modeling clay. If they get one backwards, it’s a simple matter of flipping it over to make it right.
- Practice writing numbers with sidewalk chalk on the porch or driveway.
- Give your child a paintbrush and a cup of water, and have him “paint” his numbers on the sidewalk.
- Spread some uncooked rice in the bottom of a cooking tray and let your child practice drawing the numbers in that.
- Save on paper! Laminate our number writing practice sheet, then use a dry erase marker to complete it.
Be patient. Correct their mistakes gently and lovingly. Give them lots of opportunities to practice.
If you know of any other helpful tricks to teach the proper orientation of digits 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, or 9, be sure to share them below. My kids are always happy to try something new.
More Basic Skills Practice
Does your student need a little more practice with basic skills? Then check out the following FREE printables, too:
This set of FREE printables includes practice in matching, sequencing, and set building. Great way to build critical thinking skills in your liitle ones!
Don’t forget to teach your little ones life skills.This FREE list breaks down common chores by age-readiness for guided practice!
Help for Mom, too
Maybe your child is not the only one struggling to master life skills. Babies have a way of turning life upside down, and sometimes it takes a while to get things back in balance. For some tried and true tips for restoring order quickly, check out my Life Balance Bundle, made with moms in mind!