Today I’m sharing a list of 50 Bible verses for you to memorize and teach to your children. It is so easy for most children to commit things to memory when they’re young, so why not capitalize on that ability and fill their heads with something of infinitely greater value than nursery rhymes and commercial jingles?
Not that nursery rhymes don’t have their place. But if you’ve got to pick only one thing to allot brain space to, I’d recommend going with the Word of God.
That’s part of the reason God tells His people to “lay up these words of mine in your heart and in your soul, and bind them as a sign on your hand, and they shall be as frontlets between your eyes. You shall teach them to your children, speaking of them when you sit in your house, when you walk by the way, when you lie down, and when you rise up.”
Are you wondering where or how to begin? Try starting with the following fifty verses (scroll down for a free printable copy of this list).
Read these verses to your children. Discuss them. Set them to music and invent hand motions if you like. Just do whatever you can to hide God’s Word in your own heart and plant it deeply within the hearts of your children. Then pray that it will bear a bumper crop of spiritual fruit and lifelong loving service.
50 Bible Verses Everyone Should Know
- “In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.” – Genesis 1:1
- “Therefore shall you lay up these my words in your heart and in your soul, and bind them for a sign upon your hand, that they may be as frontlets between your eyes. And you shall teach them your children, speaking of them when you sit in your house, and when you walk by the way, when you lie down, and when you rise up. And you shall write them upon the door posts of your house, and upon your gates” – Deuteronomy 11:18-20
- “The LORD bless you, and keep you.The LORD make His face shine on you and be gracious to you. The LORD lift up His countenance on you and give you peace.” – Numbers 6:24-26
- “Delight yourself in the LORD; and He will give you the desires of your heart. Commit your way to the LORD, trust also in Him, and He will do it.” – Psalm 37:4-5
- “Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me.” – Psalm 51:10
- “The fool has said in his heart, “There is no God.” They are corrupt, and have done abominable iniquity; There is none who does good.” – Psalm 53:1
- “When I am afraid, I will trust in you…” – Psalm 56:3
- “Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.” – Psalm 119:105
- “Behold, children are a gift of the LORD, The fruit of the womb is a reward.” – Psalm 127:3
- “Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.” – Proverbs 3:5-6
- “You will keep in perfect peace him whose mind is stayed on You, because he trusts in You.” – Isaiah 26:3
- “But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.” – Isaiah 40:31
- “All we like sheep have gone astray; We have turned, every one, to his own way; And the LORD has laid on Him the iniquity of us all.” – Isaiah 53:6
- “You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden.” – Matthew 5:14
- “Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.” – Matthew 11:28-29
- “’And you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all you mind, and with all your strength.’ The second is this, ‘you shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no other commandment greater than these.” – Mark 12:30-31
- “For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life. For God did not send the Son into the world to judge the world, but that the world might be saved through Him.” – John 3:16-17
- “If you love Me, you will keep My commandments.” – John 14:15
- “These things I have spoken to you, that in Me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation; but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world.” – John 16:33
- “Nor is there salvation in any other, for there is no other name under heaven given among men by which we must be saved.” – Acts 4:12
- “For all have sinned, and come fall of the glory of God” – Romans 3:23
- “But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.” – Romans 5:8
- “For the wages of sin is death…” – Romans 6:23
- “There is therefore now no condemnation…”
- “For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.” – Romans 8:38-39
- “If you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved; for with the heart a person believes, resulting in righteousness, and with the mouth he confesses, resulting in salvation.” – Romans 10:9-10 –
- “For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.” – Romans 10:13
- “Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God.” – 1 Corinthians 10:31
- “Love is patient, love is kind and is not jealous; love does not brag and is not arrogant, does not act unbecomingly; it does not seek its own, is not provoked, does not take into account a wrong suffered, does not rejoice in unrighteousness, but rejoices with the truth; bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never fails….” – 1 Corinthians 13:4-8
- “But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law.” – Galatians 5:22-23
- “In Him we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of our trespasses, according to the riches of His grace which He lavished on us.” – Ephesians 1:7-8
- “Be kind and compassionate…” – Ephesians 4:32
- “Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right. Honor your father and mother (which is the first commandment with a promise), so that it may be well with you, and that you may live long on the earth.” – Ephesians 6:1-3
- “Do nothing from selfishness or empty conceit, but with humility of mind regard one another as more important than yourselves; do not merely look out for your own personal interests, but also for the interests of others.” – Philippians 2:3-4
- “Rejoice in the Lord alway: and again I say, Rejoice.” – Philippians 4:4
- “Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.” – Philippians 4:6-7
- “Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.” – Philippians 4:8
- “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.” – Philippians 4:13
- “But my God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus.” – Philippians 4:19
- “Therefore, if you have been raised with Christ, keep seeking the things that are above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. Set your minds on the things that are above, not on the things that are on earth. For you have died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God.” – – Colossians 3:1-3
- “Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom, teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.” – Colossians 3:16
- “Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for He who promised is faithful; and let us consider how to stimulate one another to love and good deeds, not forsaking our own assembling together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another; and all the more as you see the day drawing near.” – Hebrews 10:23-25
- “Therefore we also, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which so easily ensnares us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of faith, who for the joy set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.” – Hebrews 12:1-2
- “Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever.” – Hebrews 13:8
- “My brethren, count it all joy when you fall into various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces patience.” – James 1:2-3
- “But if any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all generously and without reproach, and it will be given to him.” – James 1:5
- “Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and comes down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or shadow of turning.” – James 1:17
- “This you know, my beloved brethren. But let everyone be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger.” – James 1:19
- “But He gives a greater grace. Therefore it says, “God is opposed to the proud, but gives grace to the humble.” – James 4:6
- “Beloved, let us love one another, for love is from God; and everyone who loves is born of God and knows God. The one who does not love does not know God, for God is love.” – 1 John 4:7-8
Of course, there are many, many more Bible verses worth memorizing. Did I miss one of your favorites? Tell me which one in the comment section below. If I get enough, I’ll compile a “50 More Verses to Memorize” list. Better yet, why not compile your own list of verses to memorize, and send me a copy once you’re done! 🙂
Great verses!! I may just have to start memorizing these. Have you guys checked out Sight & Sound for a while?
Jennifer Flanders says
No, we haven’t. They were still showing Jesus last time we were in Branson, which we’d already seen. And we were in Pennsylvania briefly this summer, but not long enough to catch a showing there. I’m hoping we can go again next spring. I heard they were going to do Noah next, but haven’t confirmed that.
They have David on stage right now in Lancaster, and Jesus on stage right now in Branson. Next year they have Moses on the Lancaster stage, and Queen Esther on the Branson stage. They also have a Christmas play called the Miracle of Christmas which is going to be on stage in both locations. It will be on the Branson stage from November 5 – December 31, 2022. It will be on the Lancaster stage from November 4 – December 30, 2023. Noah isn’t anywhere on the schedule right now. Have you guys purchased their dvds at all? All of their dvds are filmed on the Lancaster stage the year they are opened to the public. I think you guys would really love them!! In fact, my family just watched S&S Joseph again a couple nights ago (Sunday night.) We were all very moved again by it. Sight & Sound is also on Facebook too, so you can follow them there too.
Hope this information helped!
Jennifer Flanders says
Thank you for that update. I’m on their mailing list, so I must’ve seen Noah as one of the available screenings on S&S TV. We’ll have to check out the videos. Esther is one of my favorite stories, so we will definitely have to make plans to see that one in Branson next year!
Yes, that’s probably where you saw Noah. I saw Esther on dvd back in March. I think your family would love it! And Moses too! And all of the other ones!😁🙂