All my girls love to bake. They cut their teeth on Martha Stewart’s Baking Handbook, and are still using our same old dog-eared copy today. Martha’s Classic Pound Cake is one of our family’s favorites. It ranks right up there with her fresh fruit crisp.
Ingredients you’ll need:
- 3 sicks of butter (at room temp)
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1½ cups sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 6 large eggs
- powdered sugar (for dusting)
Instructions for making Martha’s Classic Pound Cake
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter a bread pan, then dust with flour. Set aside.
- Whisk together the flour and salt in a mid size bowl. Set aside.
- Beat butter, sugar, and vanilla until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating until combined with mixer on low speed.
- Mix in flour mixture, beating until just combined.
- Spoon batter into buttered pan and smooth with a spatula. Bake until cake is golden and toothpick comes out clean (50 to 60 minutes). Turn cake out and cool for about ten minutes (if you can wait that long!)
- Dust with powdered sugar and serve warm with whipped cream, ice cream, and/or fresh fruit. Serve it with a tall glass of cold milk.
Moist and delicious, this pound cake is delicious drizzled with honey and a spoonful of cherry pie filling. It also makes a perfect base for strawberry shortcake.
More Fun in the Kitchen
Love to cook? You can view a categorized list of my other recipe posts here: Our Favorite Recipes. Or — for even more Flanders family favorites, plus a wealth of ideas for making mealtime memorable — get a copy of my book Sit Down & Eat.
Have enough nutritious and delicious recipes to fill a book of your own? Then grab a copy of my new devotional journal for culinary artists, Bread of Heaven so you can put them all down in one place.
PLEASE NOTE: This post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through any of those links, we may receive a small referral fee, at no extra cost to you. Such fees help defray the cost of running this website. This, in turn, allows us to continue offering our readers a wealth of FREE printable resources. So thank you for your support!