So what are we to do when our stuff goes AWOL? The strategies I’ve found to be most effective are as follows:
- Retrace your steps – If you’re the one who’s lost something, think back to where you last saw it, then check there and everywhere else you’ve been since you misplaced the item. If it’s your child who is missing something, walk him through these same steps.
- Pray for God’s help in finding it – This should really be what you do first, but if you are anything like me, you may not remember to do it until you’ve already tried step #1 without success. The advantage to praying straight off the bat is that:
- Nothing is hidden from God. He already knows where to find what you are looking for, and it’s a small matter for Him to steer you in the right direction.
- Prayer has a calming effect, which is especially important if you were running late already.
- Voicing a prayer keeps your tongue busy, so you are less likely to chew out the (ir)responsible party or to say something you’ll later regret.
What about you? What do you do when you can’t find something you need? If you’ve got other search-and-rescue strategies, please share!