In honor of Abraham Lincoln’s birthday (today!), I wanted to share this Lincoln quote about choosing sides. Lincoln observed, “My concern is not whether God is on our side; my greatest concern is to be on God’s side, for God is always right.”
Isn’t that a great perspective? Some people spend way too much time trying to somehow prove that God is on their side. But what we really should be doing is figuring out where, exactly, God stands on a matter, and getting on board with His agenda. Because, in the end, that is all that really matters.
And how do we discern where God stands? By reading His word, praying for wisdom and discernment, aligning ourselves with His principles, and allowing Him to conform us to the image of Christ.
More great quotes from Lincoln
Lincoln articulated a lot of wise words during his time on earth. Among some of his other quotes are these gems:
- “Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe.”
- “I’m a success today because I had a friend who believed in me and I didn’t have the heart to let him down.”
- “Character is like a tree and reputation its shadow. The shadow is what we think it is and the tree is the real thing.”
- “Those who deny freedom to others, deserve it not for themselves.”
- “Be sure you put your feet in the right place, then stand firm.”
- “Folks are usually about as happy as they make their minds up to be.”
- “No man is poor who has a Godly mother.”
- “The best way to predict your future is to create it.”
- “America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.”
More Soul-Stirring Words for Patriots
Do you love the LORD, love our country, and love American history? Then check out God Bless America, made especially for patriots like you! It joins my growing collection of devotional journals. With twelve titles now in the series, there is something for nearly everyone.
Every page features beautiful vintage artwork along with a scripture verse, a writing prompt, or a historical quote, all designed to inspire you to think deeply about what it means to be an American and about how we can ensure the guiding principles on which our nation was established are never forgotten.