One of the advantages of not owning a television set is that we completely “miss out” on most of the commercials, movies, and broadcast programing that relentlessly pushes forward an agenda against everything we hold dear. We read just enough of the news to stay abreast of what is going on in the world, and bypass the rest.
Not only does this free up a ton of time that might otherwise be wasted in front of the tube. But it also keeps us from feeling overwhelmed. Back when we did own a TV, we watched it all the time. Even then, a steady diet of talk shows and newscasts weighed heavy on our hearts — not in a way that drove us to our knees to pray against the evils described, but in a way that fostered a sense of fear or hopelessness or despair.
Do not be overcome by evil
None of these attitudes are very becoming for a Christian. For God tells us plainly in His word:
- “These things I have spoken to you, so that in Me you may have peace. In the world you have tribulation, but take courage; I have overcome the world.” – John 16:33
- “You are from God, little children, and have overcome them; because greater is He who is in you than he who is in the world.” – 1 John 4:4
- “Everyone born of God overcomes the world. This is the victory that has overcome the world, even our faith.” – 1 John 5:4
- “Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.” – Romans 12:21
Overcome evil with good
That last verse is featured in today’s Overcome Evil with Good coloring page. But I hope you’ll spend some time meditating on all these Scriptures. And next time you start to feel like you’re fighting a losing battle, stop and pray to the One who has already conquered sin and death and the grave:
- Pray for the victims of evil. Ask that the Lord would make those who know Him shine as a light in the darkness And ask that those who don’t might cast their cares upon Jesus and find strength and comfort in Him.
- Pray for the perpetrators of evil. For they are themselves held captive by sin and are in dire need of the Savior, whether they recognize that fact or not.
- Pray for yourself. Ask God to give you wisdom to know how best to fight against the evil you see in the world and to withstand it by His grace in the areas of your own life that are affected.
Come back again next Sunday for a new coloring page. To download any of the pages I’ve published in the past, follow this link: Free Christian Coloring Pages).
If you prefer a bound collection, check out my Color the Word series, available in English or Spanish.
Leave a Reply