In honor of Father’s Day, I thought I’d share a poem I wrote for my husband many years ago when our children were younger. Enjoy!
A Hero in the Making
(by Jennifer Flanders)
Our little one is watching–
Can’t you see it in his eyes?
How he brightens at the sight of you
With happy, wild surprise?
Yes, our little one is watching,
He sees everything you do,
And he’s mimicking your actions
Trying hard to be like you.
Our little one is listening–
He hears every word you say,
Perks up whene’er he hears your voice,
No matter time of day.
Yes, our little one is listening.
And your words, they sink in deep.
They encourage, they inspire him,
And they echo in his sleep.
Our little one is following,
And he shadows every move,
Watching close for your reaction–
How he hopes that you’ll approve!
Yes, our little one is following–
And I thank the Lord above
For your wise and good example,
Your devotion and your love.
Our little one’s believing–
You’re a hero in his eyes,
And he knows that he can trust you
Like he knows the sun will rise.
Yes, our little one’s believing–
God protect his tender heart,
For he’ll view his Heav’nly Father
As he’s seen you from the start.
I am eternally thankful that this is the sort of father I was blessed to have.
I am also profoundly grateful that this is the kind of guy I married and that my own children call father.
In the meantime, if you’re looking for more fun ideas for celebrating Father’s Day, check out the following posts…
More Free Father’s Day Resources:
- Free Printable Father’s Day Cards – several styles to choose from
- DIY Coupon Book for Father’s Day – I love the vintage artwork on these
- More Free Father’s Day Printables – have your younger children fill these out for hilarious results
- A Father’s Love Coloring Page – harkens back to when kids were little enough to bounce on Daddy’s knee
- Man of Integrity Coloring Page – how blessed are his children after him!
- Mighty and Blessed Coloring Page – a man’s character affects generations to come
- 7 Last-Minute Gift Ideas for Dad – lots of ideas for homemade gifts and more
- A Prayer for Fathersone of the best things you can do for your dad… pray for him