It seems like more and more of the Christmas season is spent shopping these days — shopping for stuff that rarely satisfies.
Have you noticed that?
Beginning with Black Friday and continuing right up through eleventh-hour runs to the grocery store on Christmas Eve, we devote a large portion of our time in December to buying consumer goods.
The sad thing is, the things we purchase seldom last long:
- Bellies that were full from lunch are grumbling for dinner within a few hours.
- Gift wrap that was painstakingly applied lays torn and scattered across the floor.
- Toys that topped the children’s wish lists lose their appeal and lay forsaken on the closet floor.
It reminds me of these words from the prophet Isaiah:
“Why spend money on what is not bread, and your labor on what does not satisfy? Listen, listen to me, and eat what is good, and you will delight in the richest of fare.” Isaiah 55:2
When the Samaritan woman came to get drinking water from the village well, Jesus offered her living water and told her if she’d drink that, she’d never thirst again.
So many of the gifts we give and receive at Christmas time do not bring lasting satisfaction. But there is one Gift that will.
And that Gift is the whole reason we celebrate.
Christmas is a season of giving. Yes. That is true (and shopping is often a necessary part of this.)
But Christmas is also about receiving. Have you accepted this greatest of gifts — the only one that will satisfy your heart’s deepest longings?
This week’s verse can be found in the sixth set of our Scripture Memory Flashcards:
And for extra practice, I’ve made more handwriting printables, as well:
Plus, in case you missed them, here are links to the first five sets of flashcards and practice sheets, too:
- Scripture Memory Cards – Set 1
- Scripture Memory Cards – Set 2
- Scripture Memory Cards – Set 3
- Scripture Memory Cards – Set 4
- Scripture Memory Cards – Set 5
- Memory Verse Copywork – Set 1
- Memory Verse Copywork – Set 2
- Memory Verse Copywork – Set 3
- Memory Verse Copywork – Set 4
- Memory Verse Copywork – Set 5
And I’ve also uploaded a progress chart to help you keep track of which verses your child has already memorized (some of the verses listed are from sets of flashcards that will be published in the future).
May God honor your efforts to hide His Word in your heart!